Thursday, December 27, 2007

A letter to John Deere

Dear Mr. Deere,

I am writing because when I think of lawnmowers, I think of you. Lately I have been thinking about lawnmowers quite a lot.

Outside my window a small team of men are running weed whackers with the mufflers removed. They have been working for 8 hours so far today and today is the third day straight. It must seem to you to be an incredible amount of time for so many people to be whacking weeds. It would be if they were, in fact, whacking weeds. They are not.

It is my limited experience that Sāmoans like to have meticulously-maintained, elaborate gardens and wide-open expanses of well-kept lawns. They mow these lawns with weed whackers. Teams of weed whacking men will mow a single lawn for hours.

I write to you because I can only imagine the hours of manpower that could be saved on my school’s compound if but a single one of your riding lawnmowers was graciously bequeathed. Just imagine, if you will, if this lawn-mowing phenomenon spread throughout the island. I believe it would fill small children with laughter and that joyful men and women would dance in the street.

I know of at least two palagi who would rest easily (at 6 o’clock in the morning) with the knowledge that lawnmowers had come to Sāmoa.

Sincerely,
Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

I wonder if John Deere will read this and respond, you never know. Someone in the company could have an obsession with all things Samoan and could be scanning your blog. Don't expect us to ship you one. I would probably cost us a year's tuition at Purdue!

whatever said...

That was not always the case. In yonder years we used machetes. It was also a thing to watch. Just imagine a group of 50 students in a long straight line (like in a 100 yd dash) with machetes in their hands, and starting wacking the grass in the same manner, like you do a sasa. That's how we cut grass in my days(like your grandfather here in the States told you he walked 100 miles to school without shoes???) We would be saying 1 and everyone will cut one, then go to 2, slash 2, and so on and on, if we get to 10 that is frigging too much. We would also be singing as we cut the grass, then we sweep with the brooms made of coconut tuaniu. Fun memories and times. Really enjoying your blog.