Monday, January 14, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away

So it has been raining here for what feels like weeks. I am sure I am exaggerating, but it has definitely been days. This is supposed to be the hot, rainy summer season, but until January I hadn’t found it that hot or wet. Things have changed.

I haven’t noticed it being particularly hotter, but here in our house we have a couple of fans that keep us nice and cool. I was hotter in the training village, but that was because we didn’t have any fans or a breeze. However, I have noticed it raining, and raining, and raining some more. It rained a lot when we were in the training village, but almost always at night and rarely for more than an hour or so.

It has rained everyday this week so far. Our country director sent out an email updating us of the current weather situation and reminding us to be vigilant and safe.

“According to the Samoan Meteorological Division's weather report this morning, the trough of low pressure off of Tonga causing the heavy rainfall over the past few days has developed into a tropical cyclone named Elisa. Fortunately, it is, so far, continuing to move away from Tonga and Samoa. However, another active trough of low pressure located north of Fiji is predicted to bring more heavy rainfall to Samoa as it gets closer to Fiji. Flash flooding and high wind advisories remain in effect for Samoa."

According to the Lonely Planet, there is a distinct wet season between November and April. January seems to be the rainiest month with some places getting up to twenty inches of rain, though the capital, which we live near, gets about seventeen on average.

In comparison, Orlando’s wettest month is June and it averages 7 inches of rain and in Indy the wettest months are May through July, with each month averaging about 4 inches of rain. So, it’s a little wetter here.

On a completely unrelated note, in my weather research I came across this fun fact: Indy has both the higher and lower record temperatures than Orlando. I would expect Indy to have a lower record (-27° versus 19°), but Indy also has the higher (106° versus 101°). So it is both hotter and colder in Indy. How’s that for fun?

— Sara

Note: Well, I got my wish. I wrote this entry on Saturday I think. It didn’t rain at all on Sunday and it looks like today will be a beautiful Monday.

No comments: