#1 There is no AAA in Sāmoa
Biking into town at around 5pm for dinner with other Peace Corps the Friday before Easter. Pass car broke down on the side of the road. Appears to have flat tire or something similar since it is up on a jack and missing a tire.
Biking back from town at about 10:30pm having finished dinner with other Peace Corps. Pass car broke down on the side of the road. Notice former occupant of car has bedded down for the night in grass on the side of the road next to the car.
Apparently, if your car breaks down and you cannot fix it, you just pull some ie ([ē-ā] cloth, materials, lavalava, etc.) out the trunk of your car and call it a night.
#2 Notes from a teachers' meeting
1. Teachers should come to school and show up one time. When you don't come to school, there is no one to teach your classes.
2. The rugby fund-raising that was supposedly due months ago? Not really. Teachers, please, please ask your students to turn in the fund-raising. Oh, also teachers should turn in their fund-raising too.
3. Teachers should not hang out in the resource room (incredibly well air-conditioned room where the school textbooks live [students are not give textbooks of their own, but borrow them from the resource room for class]).
4. If a rugby coach cannot stay after school, he should tell someone and not just leave the school. This is probably why one of the rugby balls is missing.
5. One of the senior students is being sent to a school in New Zealand where he will play rugby. It appears that another student was already sent to this school earlier this year...however, a recent fax from the school indicates that the earlier student has not arrived yet. So...somewhere out there one of our students is just wandering around in New Zealand?
6. Teachers want more money.
#3 They cannot all be waiting for a bus. Can they?
So I have noticed, while riding the bus to and from town, there are always people hanging out by the side of the road. Some of them are waiting for buses. They must be waiting for specific buses though. Even when the bus I am on (headed into town...where all the buses meet) stops for someone that gets on there are often two or three people that don't get on. Are they waiting for another bus? Why does it matter? All the buses are going into Apia, shouldn't one bus be as good as another? Plus I have seen people hanging out by the side of the road long after the buses have stopped running. Maybe hanging out by the side of the road is just a cool thing to do.
#4 Ten granola bars in two days
Cale's Dad and Shirl sent us a package. It was full of granola bars. We had long ago run out of our last wonderful supply of granola bars. I did not realize just how much I had missed them until the reinforcements arrived. We got the box yesterday and today an entire box is gone. I ate ten granola bars in two days. Granola overload. Mmmmmmmmm. Delicious.