Saturday, April 12, 2008

At long last....the Easter Spectacular

Easter Spectacular

So Easter was only, what, a month ago? Well, here comes my post on the Easter Spectacular at school.

I am not actually sure what they called the event, but I had taken to calling it the Easter Spectacular the week before hand and will continue to call it that because I can. So there.

The week before the Spectacular it was an announcement that the senior students were going to be presenting a play and that we may have to excuse them from classes so they could practice, which didn't exactly make me very happy. I don't have enough time to teach the PSSC students everything they need to know as it is, losing class time is not my favorite.

At the time, I swear that they said the students would be performing Romeo & Juliet (which, to be honest, seemed like a strange Easter play). However, with the knowledge I have now, I assume that was a joke of some sort.

Monday of Easter week was a regular school day. Tuesday of Easter week was also a regular school day, but I missed it because of the 'ava ceremony for the new country director. I did leave behind a lesson plan for my students that was easy for any teacher to carry out. They were to read a handout that told them about the different keys the keyboard and complete a worksheet. Wednesday of Easter week was not a regular school day. Apparently most, if not all, of the day was taken up with practice for the Spectacular. I missed the day because I was sick (must have been something I ate), but I had Cale take a lesson plan over for my classes (unnecessary, due to the Spectacular practice). Thursday was the day of the Spectacular.

The day started out with students cleaning the school grounds. They pulled weeds, cut grass, gathered rubbish, etc. Then they all gathered in the hall. It took a while to get them all assembled properly. It seemed that there was a very particular way and place they should all be sitting and it took a while to organize. Then we all waited for quite a while. After much waiting, it appears it was determined the students should eat before the Spectacular, so the canteen was opened and all the well assembled students were released to buy food. When they reassembled later, it wasn't nearly as well-organized as before, but oh well.

The Spectacular itself consisted of performances by each of the senior classes. 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3 all performed. So about six performances. The performances fell into three main groups.

1. The dance and lip sync to a medley of songs.
2. The singing (with possible choreographed moves) of religious songs.
3. The skits from the Easter story.

The kids did a great job considering I think they only had that one Wednesday to practice. And it ended quite enthusiastically with Jesus rising from the dead and a song with candles and skits and singing and dancing! If the students had been released after that it would have been quite an exciting and uplifting event to start their Easter Weekend out on. However, in true Sāmoan fashion, the event was ended by a long speech by the pule instead. Which, at least to me, really seemed to put a damper on the spirits. But what do I know?

Anyway, Easter pictures are on the flickr.

— Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

The Samoans are really a good looking people, particularly the youth aren't they? They looked like they were into the production. Bet you were glad you weren't called to be director, your one stint as Becky Thatcher hardly gives you a wealth of acting experience!

Barb Carusillo said...

I like your new logo above. It looks like the Somoan tatoo I saw one of the other PVC got on his arm, which he featured in his blog.