Sunday, September 14, 2008

Did You Miss Me?

You may have noticed that I haven't written anything in a while? I am sort of grounded from the computer again. Except I am also so busy doing the work that is causing the back pain that grounds me from the computer, that I wouldn't have time to write blog entries anyway.

I returned from vacation deal with the CAT my students had while I was gone. The CAT is a Common Assessment Task that all schools following the PSSC prescription (which you may remember is a international standard that many islands in the South Pacific subscribe to) must administer to their students. Before vacation I dealt with an extremely stressful situation related to this CAT. I don't want to go into the details of the story on the blog at this time, but I will say that result was that when my students had the CAT I was on vacation in New Zealand, so I could not be there to administer it.

Anyway, when I returned from vacation I had already missed one of the two weeks we are given to mark the CAT and turn in our results for moderation. So for the past week I have been working as many as seven additional hours after school to complete the marking. Many situations arose with the CAT that would not have happened if I could have been here to administer it. Things that are not the fault of the teacher who administered, but things I would have noticed and corrected as the CAT was happening. Instead I have to try to deal with them after the fact when not much can be done.

I finished marking my CATs on Friday and took them the the Examination Unit to make sure I had done everything correctly. They noticed some problems and sent me back to make those corrections. The official deadline for these marks is Monday, so I have to finish all these problems and then rush the marks over to MESC after school on Monday.

Needless to say, this means that I have been sitting at a computer for countless hours continuously getting this work done. Which has lead to back pain, which is why I am grounded.

— Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

Ah Sara....it seems this past week has been the stress week from Hades for our estended family...your sisters, grandparents, uncles. I am hoping the next few weeks are better for all of us. It is too bad to come back from a great vacation to all that stress. It will feel like you never had a vacation! Hopefully, some day you will remember the fun, and not the stress!

annette said...

yes, i misssed you very much !! sorry about your back - i feel your pain ! really.....

take care of yourself -hope your kids did better than expected on the test.