Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Barb & Tom Were Here: Days Seven, Eight and Nine

Janes in Manase

Days seven, eight and nine were spent on the beach in Manase. There was swimming and snorkeling and lazing around and book reading and suipi playing. It was heaven.

Mom and Dad swam (well, Dad walked, the water is not very deep in the lagoon) out the the reef and looked around at things with snorkel masks. The first time mom went out there I was scared shitless. I kept picturing a rip current picking her up and carrying her away. How was I supposed to explain that one? Teresa, Marian, we lost mom. She is probably halfway to Hawaii by now.

Anywho, Wednesday we bought some traditional Samoan BBQ from a roadside stand. Chicken, boiled banana and curry. I don't think mom and dad were too impressed and they refrained from eating to much of it. However, everyone ate some. Why I was the only one to get sick is anyone's guess. But sick I got.

I spent Wednesday night lying in the fale wishing I could throw up, while my body violently fought off all efforts to throw up. I thought I was better Thursday morning but then I got up to go to the bathroom and barely made it. By the time I got there I was drenched in sweat and dry heaving.

Luckily or unfortunately for me, depending on who your asking, I never did throw up.

Instead we sat in a fale by the side of the road to wait for a bus to take us back to the wharf. I think we started waiting around 10 am. We were told the bus usually comes at 10:30 am. However, I remembered not catching the bus with Annette until 11:30. Anyway, there was a Samoan woman who works at Jane's waiting with us, so it lead us to believe that a bus would eventually come.

Around 11 am Dad was getting antsy and wanting to hire a taxi, but then a little after 11 a bus miraculously appeared and we road into Saleologa at top speed. We arrived just in time to eat some banana chips and catch the ferry home.

We ran into Nick on the ferry and he and mom chatted the who way back. In order to avoid seasickness (in addition to regular sickness) I stuck my earbuds in and focused all my attention on what Ira Glass had to say. Dad apparently spent the entire time focusing intently on the horizon in an effort to stave off nausea. 

I spent most of the rest of the day in bed. So I am not sure what adventures Cale and my parents had without me.

— Sara

No comments: