Saturday, August 29, 2009

Student Photogs

Thanks to donations from our parents, both Cale and my schools have cameras for the students to use. Cale's school is preparing for picture day with their camera. Well, they would be preparing for picture day if they ever have school again.

You may remember picture day from last year when I took the pictures with my camera and did all the layout and printing work. This year Cale's students designed their own order form, organized the day, will take the pictures with their camera and will layout the pictures afterwards for printing. Good on them.

My students are using the camera for the school magazine (read: yearbook) we are producing. Well, we are trying to produce. My method of being the yearbook advisor is more like half-heartedly herding cats. "Hey, guys...maybe we want to write some words or take a picture or something? No? Oh...Ok."

Anyway, I thought I would share some of my students super photography with you.

Student Photogs

So what we have here is some excellent sports action from the athletics competition. It rained alot that day and I am pretty happy I was just able to send the camera with a student and not go and shoot pictures in the rain myself.

Student Photogs

Here we have an obviously posed picture in the science lab. One of the girls in the photograph is the magazine staffer who was out with the camera to take pictures. I don't think she even takes science classes. However, this sort of posing is way better than the stuff with gang signs, so I give it a big thumbs up.

Check out more student pictures here (For now. I forgot to tag the photos and with the dial up it is a pain in the ass to go back and tag them now, so this is just the flickr address and the pictures will only be up until I start uploading more.)

— Sara

4 comments:

Hilda said...

Great work! Those are pretty good pictures! let me know if I can assist you with any help in the future. i am teaching at UCF this semester and I make a lot of handouts and stuff for the students in plain English unlike the jargon that photographers like to utilize for technical info and such, so if you need any ...
Be safe and i commend u on taking a stand with that teacher with the loose hand....

Hilda

Cale and Sara join the Peace Corps said...

Thanks for the compliment, I had nothing to do with it. I never taught anything. I just hand them the camera and say, "here take some pictures" if you want to send any resources though I will make sure the students get them. with only 2.5 months of school left and most of it cramming for exams, I probably won't get to do much photog teaching.

Hilda said...

Well you may have not taught them photo, but the mere idea of giving them the cameras and your folks donating the cameras, is a superb effort in teaching photo....u see...u don't really teach photo, I think, some have to work harder than others at it and some are naturals, but in the end, it is all about fun, expression, story-telling and experience, such as the cool photos u yourselves take...... word.......

Cale and Sara join the Peace Corps said...

Thanks for the compliment, those kids at UCF are very lucky.