Thursday, October 1, 2009

I saw

A lot of fish.
Almost no recognizable structures.
2 pufferfish, 2 sea urchins, and 3 crown-of-thorns.
1 funeral in an affected area.
1 funeral in front of a destroyed home.
People trying to shoo flies away from bodies.
Compassionate reception of newly found bodies.
So many jugs of water.
A lot of waterlogged bibles.
People trying to save scraps of destroyed wood before the bulldozers come.
A destroyed home with a refrigerator standing upright in it and four guys resting by leaning on the top with one outstretched hand.
The remnants of a (probably tourist) make-up bag 200 yards from the beach in a pile of muck.
3 rescued fine mats.
1 rescued pig.
1 bruised-but-not-broken baby doll.
Trucks piled high with (temporary homes) tarpaulin.
Almost no cars that still had tyres or the wheel to which they were once attached (maybe they float).

— Cale

6 comments:

Rick Von Feldt said...

Sara - so glad to see you are safe. And that you are blogging. I have added your story to our TSUNAMI SURVIORS blog. We are a hundred or so that have shared our story from 2004. We know what you are going through. If we can help in any way - let us know. Keep sharing your stories! - Rick Von Feldt
http://phukettsunami.blogspot.com/2009/10/samoa-survivor-cale-and-sara-reeves.html

Rick Von Feldt said...

www.phukettsunami.blogspot.com

brian said...

Great job, I appreciate your keeping us up to date on how things are and knowing that the PCVs are safe. If anything happends here I think they and my host families would be my first concern then we would start doing exactly what you two are doing.

Brian
PCV Armenia

Anonymous said...

Sara,
I love the blog! It's great to know you all are safe. I'm a reporter in Indianapolis and would love to share your story. Please email me at kbrooks@tribune.com
Thanks.
Kara

Nycole said...

Thank You Sara & Cale. I found your blog via a news story. I have pasted your spot in "my favorites" adn will continue to check in. My mother and father in-law (RED CROSS) are preparing to leave for Samoa this morning, it helps me to know what they are going into. We are praying for the families of the disaster as well as the volunteers.

God Bless You

Kevin said...

Hi,

I'm a Group 50 RPCV, and lived in Satitoa for language training. We're heartbroken to see what's happened, and looking for ways to assist. I'd like to directly help the people of Satitoa who were so generous to us when I was there -- any thoughts about what would be most useful, or am I making things more difficult and better off going through the Red Cross?

Take care,

Kevin