Tuesday, October 27, 2009

47: Bizarre Foods

Sea

Apparently there is this show on the Travel Channel. Some bald guy travels around the world eating weird stuff (I bet I have you confused, Anthony Bourdain isn't bald you are saying. Ha! It's another guy) and some time last year or so he decided to eat weird stuff in Samoa.

Thanks to Dylan we now have a copy of this hilarity in country. The guy is like a total putz and his advance team or research team or whatever couldn't even be troubled to find out how to properly pronounce many Samoan words.

The show starts off with a visit to the
Maketi Fou (mah-ket-ee foh [foh as in fee fi fo fum, I smell the blood of an englishman]), which our esteem host pronounces mah-ket-ee foo [foo as in girl, mama didn't raise no foo]. Eh, minor pronunciation mistake.

The true hilarity comes when he has a
keke pua'a (kay-kay pooh-ah-ah [the word keke coming from the English word cake]). I have mentioned these food items before. In my experience they are pork pieces and gravy tucked inside a dough ball and then boiled. The ones at the market are apparently deep fried. Fancy.

Anyway our friend, the host, announces for all the world, "Samoan's call these ka-ka pua
* (pooh-ah)." This might not seem like a big mistake, except Cale has shown this video to his students (they loved it) and they all agree that he just called that food pig shit. Except he pronounced pig wrong. Apparently ca-ca is ca-ca no matter what language you are speaking.
*They even have it spelled that way on their web site.

Later in the show he asks a Samoan environmental scientist to dig him up some grubs to eat. Then he asks the guy, "How do you usually eat them?" You can tell by the guy's face he is thinking this, "We don't usually eat them you crazy, crazy man. Who the hell usually eats grubs?
*" However, he just recommends that the host roast them first.
*Please don't get on me. I know there are people who normally eat grubs. But I have never, ever seen a Samoan eat a grub.

Anyway, yada, yada, yada, crazy man eats weird things in Samoa. Sara, can you please talk about what is going on in that Coke bottle at the top of the post.

Let me introduce you to
sea. That's sea (say-ah) not sea (see).

These are the innards of a
sea cucumber oh so lovingly pickled in sea water. It is so disgusting looking that for the longest time I refused to believe that it was a food item and had deluded myself into believing it was used as bait in fishing. That, unfortunately, is a lie.

Apparently, sea cucumber is a common food around the world. However, the
pictures I can find on the internet lead me to believe the rest of the world is eating a different part of the cucumber.

I watched the show with my Year 9 friend who is sickly and cannot go to classes held on the second floor of the school (why her computer class is on the top floor I don't know). We got to the part of the show where he eats the sea in the market and my little friend gets all excited.

"Oh. That's my favourite! I love that."

"Really?" I am incredulous.

Nope, as it turns out, she honest to goodness loves eating sea slug intestine. Well, good on her.

— Sara

PS. Interested in more info on Samoan foods? Check out this missionary's
post. Or this here.

PPS. If you would like to read something that is completely full of lies about Samoan foods, try
this.

PPPS. Want more pictures of this guy's stupid show in Samoa, check them out
here.

4 comments:

Patty Leal said...

Sara,
I am so going to miss you! You add joy to my life.

Teresa said...

Anthony Bourdain's show is called No Reservations... This guy on Bizarre foods is just disgusting... the sound of his chewing and the way he shoves so much of it into his mouth... yuck... I think that guy could actually eat pig poo and he would prolly like it and say something about tasting a hint of thyme or whatever

Barb Carusillo said...

Sara
I bet Sea and raw sea urchin guts are actually worse than Mom's old fashioned vegetable soup a la Weight watchers that you guys railed about those many years ago!

whatever said...

Ka-ka or ca-ca- are English translator of sh$#t, but the true word in Samoan is tae, I'm sure you hear that all the time there. I'm sorry to say the first word that babies learn is 'ai tae', you know the tranlasting of that. My husband was so upset when he heard a 2 year old yelling out, 'ai tae' and crying his eyes out. He told the baby 'aua le palau vale.' So whenever the baby sees my husband he would hide behind his mother. Fun memories