Thursday, October 15, 2009

59: Convalescing

Tuesday morning started out normal, but by the end of the day I had neck pain of indescribable proportions and no logical reason for it. From 2 pm I was in bed, lying flat. Wednesday was an entire day of lying in the bed, which, in case you were curious, can get just a tiny bit boring after a while. I think I worked my way through dozens of This American Lifes from the late 90s.

Mom, the physical therapist (physio therapist for you Kiwis and Aussies out there), sent instructions via email on how to help the problem. Cale manipulated positional released my head three times last night and it is starting to improve. It still hurts, but I can sit up, so that is a good start.

What does this mean to you? Well it means you get a boring short blog entry about the pain in my neck.

— Sara

PS. The rains have started! After more than a month with out rain it began last night and has been going for hours. It is officially the hot, humid, wet season now.

4 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

Hey, just in case anyone out there is a health professional, I did not send Cale instructions on how to "manipulate" Sara's neck. It has only taken me 3 years of manual therapy courses and certifications to learn that, so definitely it cannot be taught via e-mail instructions. Instead, I actually described how to do positional release, use of moist heat, gentle manual traction, how to make a home made neck support, easy enough stuff to communicate via e-mail and skype.
Now the new PCTs will get to go through their training listening to the drum beat of rain on the roof, like happened last year. I bet everyone is relieved you have some rain!

Teresa said...

I feel for you!! My neck has been getting out of aligment a lot recently... something got stuck or something and it hurts to side bend my head left all the time now... not cool! I hope you feel better

Cale and Sara join the Peace Corps said...

Oops. I managed to insult Mom. I didn't mean to, I just didn't know another word for having Cale fix my neck.

Barb Carusillo said...

No insult at all, didn't mean to make it sound that way. It would just raise the eyebrows of some folks out there, chiros in particular I would imagine. We have been trying to get direct access in this state for more than 10 years, and there is lots of sensitivity about certain things and the education required to do them. If any are reading, I wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea. (Like we think that is an easily taught, over e-mail type thing). No biggie...I imagine there really isn't anybody out there that would have raised an eyebrow, but you never know.