Monday, October 12, 2009

62: Southern Exposure

This is the blog entry I was in the middle of typing the morning of the earthquake and tsunami. I thought I would post it for your enjoyment now.

Thanks to Matt, we've watching a lot of
Northern Exposure. He has the first three seasons on DVD and lent them to us. Cale and I like to refer to it as the funny pants show. Apparently there was a time period in the early 90s where pleated, ill-fitting pants were all the rage. Unfortunately, the DVD player on the computer won't let you take screen grabs and the internet didn't record these pants for posterity, so you only have my description to go on.

It appears it was very popular to wear pants:

1. At or above your belly button
2. In a waist size that is slightly too large
3. Without a belt to help with the fact that the waist size is slightly too large
4. That balloon out immediately below the waist with multiple, layered pleats that give you an amazingly attractive pooch out front
5. In a butt size that is also too large, giving you both a long (since your waist starts so high) and saggy ass
6. That taper to your ankles to better enhance the front pooch

While they were at it people apparently wore shirts at least four sizes too large so that the shoulder seams usually fell somewhere near the elbow.

The funny thing about watching
Northern Exposure is that it keeps making me think about my Peace Corps experience. It started with a quote in one of the first episodes. The main character is complaining about his lack of a working toilet by mentioning a friend who joined the Peace Corps out of school and went to the middle of nowhere in Africa and that guy still had a working toilet.

It continues every time they have a scene in the grocery store. It is just like a faleoloa. Sure you can walk in an browse the shelves (which some faleoloa have these days), but you still end up going up to the counter and asking the lady for whatever you need and she pulls it off a shelf behind her.

Apparently living in the middle of nowhere Alaska in the early 90s is like living in Samoa now.

Cale and I were lying in the bed watching the show when Chris in the Morning had this to say:

Chris: [to Joel] Well, you know the way I see it, if you're here for four more years or four more weeks, you're here right now. You know, and I think when you're somewhere you ought to be there, and because it's not about how long you stay in a place. It's about what you do while you're there, and when you go is that place any better for you having been there?
From
Wikiquote

Talk about a quote hitting home. I turned to Cale, "I'm not here anymore." And it is true. I don't know if it is the whole countdown or the senioritis or the the inevitable feelings associated with being two months out of leaving, but I am not here anymore. I am in Malaysia or Thailand or back in Indy or even back in school. But all of these things are still a ways off. One of them almost a year away. I need to get my head back in the game and be here for these last two months.

— Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

Hey Sara,
If you ever have a hankering to wear some of those Northern Exposure type pants, I'm sure I have a pair or two back in my closet. I'll dig them out for you......

Teresa said...

Ha I was just going to tell you that I think Mom wore those pants... then she offered you a pair! Perfect! haha