Thursday, October 8, 2009

65: Why I am Slowly Going Bat-Shit Insane

It is like a never get anything done. I start the day with a list of things to do, I run around like a crazy person all day doing other things and I end the day with the same list of things to do.

So things I needed to do this week:

1. Teach my classes
2. Re-layout the entire school magazine because the one I already laid out was corrupted and the file doesn't work anymore.
3. Call a list of more than 50 businesses and ask them to advertise in our school magazine.
4. When that fails, figure out how else we are going to raise about $7,000 tala total.
5. Create some sort of awards certificate for the rugby tournament on Friday. Get it printed in color and framed in some manner.
6. Finish my PSSC marks, have the pule sign them and fax and email them to Fiji.
7. Attend the new group's ava ceremony (this one is more of a choice).
8. Pick up the cheques for the two places that agreed to advertise in the school magazine.
9. Shoot pictures for one of the ads for the magazine.
10. Design the ad I shot pictures for.
11. Get the students who have not finished all their PSSC work to finish it so I can do item number 6.
12. Work on/Finish the computer studies text book Ryan and are doing.
13. Re-deliver advertisement request letters to all the businesses that claimed they never received it in the first place when I called them.

Do this all with no car, no money and no phone credit.

What I actually accomplished this week:

1. Teach my classes
2. Teach the other teacher's classes

Me: "I had to teach my classes and the other teacher's classes today cause she never came to school."
Cale: "What are you talking about? I saw her in the teacher's room when I came over early in the day."
Me: "What? Well, she never came to the computer lab to teacher her classes. One would think that if you had classes you would come to the room to teach them, thus relieving the teacher currently trapped in the room with the students."

3. Re-layout the school magazine
4. Attend the ava ceremony
5. Pick up one cheque
6. Shoot pictures
7. Get students to finish PSSC work
8. Evacuate for a tsunami
9. Fix a broken computer
10. Spend an entire day figuring out how to make a picture slideshow with music that can be played on a DVD player for the student whose sister died so she can give to New Zealand relatives who are leaving that night.
11. General mayhem
12. Have nervous breakdowns

Just once. Just one day. I would like to wake up with a nice, simple list of things to do and accomplish all of those things easily. None of them will involve me buying things for the school with the money I don't have (I would use the printing fee money that I collect from the students and then get reimbursed from the school, except a teacher as mysteriously "taken it home with him" for no know reason) or traveling all over town on foot or making numerous phone calls that I must make from the school office since I am not going to pay for the cell phone credit to do it from my phone.

Ick, Ick. Ick. Complain, complain, complain. I blew of my plans to work all this weekend on the textbook with Ryan because I just could not do it and hold on to my sanity. Instead I am going to Savaii. So there.

— Sara


P.S.
The Way Back Machine

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister - sanity check and just take a few days to breathe. Earthquake, tsunami, deaths, sadness, earthquake, tsunami warning... it is quite a lot to deal with in a long & difficult week. I'll admit reading the blog is easy for me to do. You are living it. I will be the first to off that this is not an easy time, let alone with all the other things you deal with school, PCV, sans-quake/tsunami/death.

Take some quality "me time" and reset the other stuff for Monday. Enjoy Savaii.

Chris said...

while in Samoa earlier this year i drove past your school on the way to Apia and saw you standing across the road. I yelled out SARA!!! but you probably wondered wtf..if you even heard me at all above the balring music.

anyways I hope you visit Stevenson at Manase.. its awesome..

Barb Carusillo said...

Somewhere, baby girl, don't ask me where, you got this deep seated sense of responsibility that won't allow you to blow things off (like that other computer teacher that happily allowed you to teach her classes). But you have my permission to priortize, and maybe decide some of all those things, you don't have to do in the few months you have left over there.
Wishing you some mellowness!

Teresa said...

Hey Sara... I am a list-maker as well... I used to get massive anxiety over my lists (still do sometimes)especially when nothing on those lists gets crossed off and I just keep adding more things. But I think I am getting better at accepting that I can only do my best and there are only so many hours, so it is what it is. I know that doesn't help you deal with all the stuff you have to do and all of the craziness occuring due to the tsunami and earthquakes, but hopefully you can allow yourself to let some things slide so that you don't lose it! Love you!

Anonymous said...

OMG Sara... I was also a teacher at Levaula and got a big dose of memories from reading your blog! What a hoot... to know that absolutely NOTHING has changed since I was there at Levaula for the 1987-1988 school year. Is Taito Masunu still the pule? I actually 'escaped' from the school one night and the 2nd year taught at St Mary's College in Vaimoso. If it's any consolation... my lists were just as long, and I too never completed ANY of them; AND I think I taught more classes for the Samoan teachers who didn't show up to school, than I did the Accounting classes I was SUPPOSED to teach! Hang in there and enjoy Savai'i!
Ida Walter, Group 43 (1987-1990)
idawalter@cox.net

whatever said...

As in Samoan saying if you can't do it today, "there is always a tomorrow". Like the Chicago Cubs, there is always a next year. It's been 100 years since they won, so in Samoa maybe those will be accomplished by another peace corp in 100 years. It's the friendship that you will make and the kindness to the students, they will look back and remember the wonderful computer teacher that Miss Sara was.

Anonymous said...

i was a student of St Mary's college bk den and the trueth was i no nothing about computer till one of the peace corp from state taught me hw to use it.

Now i'm living overseas duin really well n wud like to find dis person and thank him peronsally for everything he had done plus what i put him through in planning and keepn track of my learning...

Cale and Sara Wander Southeast Asia said...

If you contact the Peace Corps office in Apia they might be able to put you in touch with the former volunteer.