Thursday, November 26, 2009

4: ...And Then the Gas Ran Out

Cooking in the electric tea kettle

Wednesday Cale was making macaroni and cheese. Or should I say macarrones y queso (it's spanish here, I don't know why). But, man, that water just wasn't boiling. Oh! I see, the gas it out. Brillant. Five days to go and we cannot cook anymore.

Then I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. Put the noodles in the electric tea kettle and then just keep pressing the button to keep it boiling. Brilliant in theory, less brilliant in practise.

Other electric tea kettles have large openings and would work just like those little water-boiler things we had in college for making ramen. This one, however, was specifically designed to keep particles from getting out. It has a small opening to put the water in, a small opening for the water to pour out and screens over them to keep crap from getting in and out. Once we had the noodles in and boiled, we had a heck of a time getting them out.

— Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

I see lots of sandwiches in your future the next few days...except Saturday of course!

Judith said...

Sarah and Cale,
Before you leave, I want to send along my heartfelt thanks for the more than year and a half of blogs that helped give me a sense of what was happening in Samoa. It was a gift beyond value to open up your blog and see a smiling picture of my daughter. One of my favorite entries was Why I Am Slowly Going Bat Shit Insane which I read to a fellow teacher. As a yearbook advisor for more than ten years, these could have been my lists. We laughed till tears appeared. Great job and ...
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your backs,
May the sun shine warm upon your faces,and
The rains fall soft upon your fields