Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Readjustment: Hair

Boat Trip

For the last two years I have lived in an environment where the temperature and humidity rarely drop below 80. During the day they rarely drop below 90. Before that I was in Florida for two years, another location known for it's heat and humidity. I had grown accustomed to curly hair. In fact, I had forgotten entirely that late in my junior year of high school I had cut all my hair off and it had grown back in "straight" (you know the straight that doesn't curl anymore, but isn't straight either, it is just a frizzy mess) and that I had suffered through years of "what do I do with this hair."

All of that had been solved for me by a little humidity. What do I do? Well I just tame it under a bandana while it is still wet to keep the curl from getting out of control and let the air do the rest. When it was mostly dry I could take the bandana off and have curly hair for the rest of the day. The only draw back to curly hair is wind. If I got on a bus to go into town and forgot to tie my hair down again, but the time I arrived it wasn't curly, it wasn't straight, it was an unmanageable mess.

Imagine my shock when I returned to the cold, arid land that is Indiana in the winter. I was worried about staying hydrated in Samoa, shit that is nothing compared to trying to stay hydrated here. The air literally sucks the moisture from my body and the curl from my hair.

Surprise, you have straight hair!

Surprise! Straight Hair.

At first I tried my typical technique. I showered, tied the hair under a bandana and waited for it to curl. And waited. And waited. And realized it was dry and limp and no curls were going to come. It tried sans bandana, no luck. I tried coaxing out the curls with finger scrunching and low heat from a hair dryer. They refused to cooperate. Slowly I have come to accept that I do not have curly hair anymore. It will most likely return when we touch down in Thailand, probably springing up instantly on the tarmac. However, in the mean time I must embrace my new sleek look. 

My hair appears to be even straighter than it was the last time it was straight. I used to spend upwards of 40 minutes with a hair dryer taming the frizz. Granted, I had significantly longer hair then, but now all I need is about five minutes with a hair dryer to stop the frizz.

For the next few months, this will be the new Sara. Expect to see the old Sara return in Southeast Asia.

— Sara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GRE Question Answer: I got 5y+z.
Let x be the other number. Then we've from the given assumptions:
(x+y-z)/2=3y which implies by multiplying both sides by 2 that:
x+y-z=6y which implies by taking everything but x to the right side: x=6y-y+z (note z and y have to shift signs by leaving one side of the equality for the other)which yields x=5y+z.
Your hair readjustment looks great by the way!

Elle said...

I've always loathed my frizzy/curly/straight mess for hair. In fact, in 6th grade I got the "Halle Barry" haircut before she had it, and before it was cool (if it ever was). Then, in 2003 I discovered two items that revolutionized my hair-care routine: 1) CHI Straightener 2) Conair diffuser that fits on the ends of most hair dryers. I grew up in IN...trust me on this one. The $4.94 diffuser and a little "curl creme" or Walgreens/LA Looks-esque gel/lard will make your hair Samoan-curly. P.S. I live in Carmel, if you're around I'd love to see you! Congratulations on your COS.