Saturday, July 17, 2010

Name This Plant: Eucalyptus Deglupta

Name This Plant

Name This Plant- Eucalyptus Deglupta

Jane has successfully named this plant the Rainbow Gum Tree (that's Eucalyptus Deglupta to you). According to
Wikipedia, this is the only eucalyptus tree native to the northern hemisphere. It is most commonly grown for pulp wood in making paper and for ornamental purposes.
"This tree is also grown for ornamental purposes, due to the showy multi-coloured streaks that cover the trunk. Patches of outer bark are shed annually at different times, showing the bright-green inner bark. This then darkens and matures to give blue, purple, orange and then maroon tones"
I had no idea such a tree existed. Cale and I were walking around in the national park up the mountain from Chiang Mai, when we happened to turn the corner and stumble on this tree. At first we thought it had been painted, until we realized that they were everywhere and all the trees were equally colorful. Cale describes them as Picasso trees. They are my new favourite plant.

Name This Plant- Eucalyptus Deglupta

Name This Plant- Eucalyptus Deglupta

— Sara

2 comments:

Barb Carusillo said...

Wow, how cool is that?! I didn't know nature did all those colors in one spot on a tree no less.

jane reinking said...

Yippee! I finally won the game.
I only recognized this tree because they were pointed out to me on a tour of Savaii. I recall these trees are not native to Samoa but were brought there many years ago. Not many of them were still there and visible. It was a treat to see.

BTW - I am headed back there in 3 weeks. I'm excited.