Sunday, June 24, 2012

ACCT International: Professional Development Workshop (Day 1)

Professional Development Workshop

A core element of the ACCT International program is the experience be mutually beneficial for both our students and our partner organizations. We understand the workload associated with taking on interns, and we also understand that our internships are relatively short (only six weeks). Though our students will still do valuable work for their partner organizations in that time, the program itself wants to offer something to our partner organizations. One way we support our partner organizations is through a two-day professional development workshop we hosted at the Mumias Sugar Company June 4 – 5.

Thanks to adjunct instructor Peg Stice, who joined the ACCT International team a few months before we left for Kenya, the workshop was a success. Without Peg, I am not sure if we would have been able to pull it all together. She was able to coordinate finding and confirming speakers for the workshop, create the agenda, and manage the event as it took place.

Once again, Pam and Stephen from Mumias Sugar opened the event, along with welcomes from Dr. T and Dr. W. ACCT students, Nolan and Leslie, presented on IU and SPEA to introduce our partner organizations to where we came from. I gave a brief introduction on how ACCT International came to be.

Professional Development Workshop

Our first speaker of the day was Dr. David Some of the Harambee Center on Philanthropy at Moi University. Dr. Some is an alumnus of the Center on Philanthropy at IUPUI. It was interesting to distinguish in his talk the similarities and differences between what I learned from The Fund Raising School and what is relevant in a Kenyan context.

Professional Development Workshop

Kefe Chepkwony also joined us from the Harambee Center to talk about social entrepreneurism.

Professional Development Workshop

After lunch we heard from Joseph Tinkoi from World Vision. I actually missed his entire presentation, as I had caught a moto into town to print the workshop certificates at the Cyber Café and to make copies of a handout for a presentation the next day.

Professional Development Workshop

Benson Omondi, lead consultant with MAXPOTLINKS, an organization that provides management solutions to NGOs, CBOs, FBOs, SMEs, and profit-making institutions, closed out our day.

Professional Development Workshop

This was when our only real mishap of the conference occurred. The file for Benson’s powerpoint presentation was corrupt. He had a copy of the presentation slides printed out and we had about 15 minutes before he was set to begin speaking. I ran down the street to the local grocery store, which also has a copy machine, hoping to make about 20 copies of the printouts. My intention was to hand them out and then Benson could speak off the handout. My shoes were not made for running though and half way there I kicked them off and proceeded to burn the bottoms of my feet as I ran the rest of the way. Once there, I found the slowest copy machine in the world. It took me 40 minutes to make six copies of the 20-page handout. Then I ran back to the conference center where Benson had been regaling the audience with a story for the past 20 minutes. I was impressed with how well he handled the situation. I think his story was just what the audience needed at that time to add a little levity to the day. Once I delivered the copies, he was able to cover his materials despite the limitations.

I am only three weeks behind in the blogging now. Soon I will post on the second day of the conference, I promise.

— Sara

No comments: