Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Human-Centered Design: Everyone Dreams of Giving Away Lottery Winnings, Right?

Apparently, +Acumen​ online courses are addictive. I've started one on Human-Centered Design.

The first reading included this statement: "One of the biggest impediments to adopting design thinking is simply fear of failure."

My response? "When I have a foundation, and I am funding organizations, I will give those organizations money each year to spend on the crazy ideas that can't get funded. Even if they fail, there will be no repercussions for their regular annual funding for operations...There will be M&E, don't get me wrong. I am not just throwing this money away."

That's right, because I frequently daydream about how I would give away lottery winnings. Seriously, I have to keep upping the amount I have won in my fantasy, not because I have more things I want for myself, but because I can think of more ways to give it away.

If I win $1 million, I'll give $10,000 to this person and $10,000 to this person...and wait, now there isn't enough for an endowment.

Ok, if I win $10 million, I'll give...

And so it goes.

Don't get me wrong. I will definitely go on a nice vacation to some parts of the world where I haven't been before. And I will buy somethings of my list of stuff I need for myself. Like new underpants and exercise clothes. You know, really splurge on myself.

1 comment:

Barb Carusillo said...

This must be something many do, dream about how they would spend money if they win the lottery (that one doesn't even play the lottery doesn't enter in). But, my dreams are to pay off my kids' student loans, pay off our house, fund our retirement plan, and then hire you to manage our foundation with all the rest!