Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 Year In Review

2016 has been a rough year for ye olde SeeReeves blog and a rough year in general. In 2015, I posted in six out of 12 months. Not a lot of action, but still some. However, in 2016 I only posted in March when I staffed the McCombs MBA Global Connections trip to South Africa. Other than that, the SeeReeves has been silent this year. There are a lot of reasons for that. Normal life isn't too exciting. I haven't been taking any classes or doing any things that warrant reflection in a blog post. Cale doesn't share his life with the world for some strange reason. And well, are the kids even writing blogs these days? Shouldn't I have just tweeted out our lives?

Regardless, it is time for the 2016 Reevesi Year In Review, and I will not disappoint.

January

In 2015 we got a new cat, Penfold. She turned out to be all kill, no cuddle. But in early January this year, I was under the impression that maybe the cuddling was coming.


We even documented a cuddle.



As it turns out, I was wrong. She still refuses to cuddle with me. Cale claims to get cuddles when I am at work.

Bigger news than our cat's lack of cuddle was Cale's first publication as an LBJ PhD student - "Overcoming barriers and uncertainties in the adoption of residential solar PV."

We hung out with friends.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


I overcame my fear of heights to jump off a building. And did a terrible job at filming it.

A video posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


I volunteered with STEMed Labs' 2016 STEMPRENEUR program. High school students took weekly coding classes for one month, concluding with a 3 Day Startup weekend at Capital Factory.



And we totally enjoyed the winter weather in Austin. That's tank-top weather on January 31.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

February

I continued to enjoy Austin winter weather with my lunchtime walks at work.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


We went to our last Dinner Lab; we just had no idea it was the last one at the time.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


I voted for the Bern in the primary.



And the high school program I volunteered with was on TV.

March

The big (and apparently only blog-worthy) event for me in March was the Global Connections trip to South Africa. Unlike the Ghana trip the year before (which was two weeks and multiple cities), this study abroad course was more like a strategic strike. We were in and out of Cape Town in five days. I loved the city. Mountains, ocean, English, a 16-to-1 exchange rate!

If you haven't already, you can follow my adventure starting here.



Overall, it was a great trip. There was some action and adventure.



And it took me a while to get home.



We had a Peace Corps reunion in Austin.



We went on a motorcycle Spring Break vacation trip to New Orleans.





It was also Holi, and I was at the MBA celebration again. However, I somehow failed to upload those pictures to the Flickr and the internets are being too slow to rectify that now as I create the year in review.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


April

In April, it was my favorite Austin festival, HONKTX.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


And a very Peace Corps wedding.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


Some big news, is I left my job at the MBA+ Leadership Program at UT...



...and accepted a position with Notley. My job was to expand two nonprofit organizations, Startup Games and Philanthropitch to new cities.



A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


I was going to miss the MBA+ team.





The new job started off with a bang, the second annual Startup Games: Level Up. Ten teams, $50k raised for local nonprofits, lots of drinking.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on





May

My first weekend at the new job was Startup Games: Level Up. The next week it was Philanthropitch.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on




May also finally brought my favorite season in Austin...creek season.



This year, Cale and I have been married for 13 years. Apparently, we only have our picture taken together when in the presence of other Pisikoa.



We celebrated by treating ourselves to the tasting menu at Barley Swine.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


June

In June, I was in Atlanta. We launched our first Philanthropitch expansion city.



July

It appears July was just normal life stuff. Go to the creek, hang out with the Kelly-Smiths for America Day, stuffs.

August

August was a huge month for Cale. He sat and passed his Comprehensive Exams. It's so important, I am doing August out of order to put this at the top. No more classes for Cale. Next up, proposal approval.



The whole PhD crew celebrated at Kitty Cohen's

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


August also brought my second favorite Austin festival, Quesoff.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


September

I was in Denver for Startup Week as I worked to expand Startup Games there.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

October

October was our very first time at ACL Live.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


Can you believe that it was the 10th anniversary of Idiocracy? And it's all coming true!

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


We launched our first expansion city for Startup Games - Denver.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

Cale presented at back-to-back academic conferences in October. He went from BECC in Baltimore to USAEE/IAEE in Tulsa.

We spent Halloween having a very SPEA reunion.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

November

As I am sure you all know, early November was rough, and it's still too soon. I typed a number of follow up sentences here, but I am just going to leave it with it was rough.

Annette came to visit for Thanksgiving. So we had a great dinner with her and friends

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

And then we went to see iconic Austin street art.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

The Samoan Disney movie came out and it was amazing.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on


December

Cale and I had the chance to attend Black Fret's Black Ball. They were a 2016 Philanthropitch finalist. It was amazing. If I had a spare $1,500 lying around, I would totally become a member.

A video posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

The kitten upped her cuddle game.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

We continued to marvel at Austin's weather with a short-sleeved hike on December 17th.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

I spent Electoral College Day preparing for a dim women's health future.



And then it was Christmas.

A photo posted by Sara Reeves (@seereeves) on

I'll update this with the Very Carusillo Christmas pictures soon and any other excitement that happens in the remaining few days of the year.

No comments: